We all know that eating healthy is important, but with so many different opinions on what is truly healthy, it's easy for people to become overwhelmed and confused as to what to include in their diet. Should you be gluten free? Is plant protein better than whey protein? Do you need 400 IUs or 4000 IUs of vitamin D? And then along comes the Nrf2 activators and you think only the Avengers take these. But no, we all should be taking Nrf2 activators and we'll give you 4 very important reasons why.
What is an Nrf2 Activator?
An Nrf2 activator is a compound found in many plants that activates the Nrf proteins. Nrf2's act like an alarm that tells your cells when oxidative stress is occurring and turns on your body’s defense mechanisms to protect your body’s cells. That's the simple answer. The complicated explanation is Nrf2 (nuclear erythroid-related factor 2) is a critical transcription factor that activates hundreds of genes via molecules called sirtuins. Nrf2 activation can be accomplished through exercise, diet, calorie reduction and even fasting.
By activating Nrf2’s, you are turning on the path to overall well-being and longevity.
Okay, so how do we activate?
What Are Sources of Nrf2 That I Can Consume?
Here are just a few:
- Green Tea (Epigallocatechin-3-gallate, or EGCG)
- Garlic and Onions
- Cauliflower, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, collard and Brussels Sprouts
- Lingonberries, Grapes, Blueberries, Cranberries and Bilberries, Pomegranates
- Olives and Olive Oil
What Are 4 Reasons You Should Take Nrf2 Activators?
1. Longevity and Healthy Aging - We will all eventually show signs of aging, but who wants to look old! Nrf2s help fight oxidative stress and free radical damage, the leading cause of degenerative disease and aging.
2. Promotes Cellular Energy, Defense and Repair - Nrf2's help control the metabolic activity in cells. Nrf2s target mitochondrial biogenesis, which may lead to increased production of ATP, a critical form of cellular energy that allows cells to perform their functions and survive. This increase in mitochondria helps promote cell survival as well as protect it from damage or death caused by lack of energy resulting from mutations or other causes. Healthy Cells = Healthy Living!
3. Activates Response To Inflammation - Chronic Inflammation is a culprit in cardiovascular disease, cancer, arthritis, diabetes and many other diseases. Diet changes can help fight inflammation. When you add in phytochemicals, bioactive nutrient plant chemicals such as Nrf2s, they have been shown to activate antioxidant responses to help fight inflammation. (1)
4. Provides AntiViral Activity - Viruses have become part of our existence and can cause oxidative stress. By helping the body to influence antioxidant protection, there is promise that Nrf2s could be beneficial in protecting against toxic oxidants and viruses.
Do Supplements Contain Nrf2s?
Yes, there are many supplements on the market that provide compelling information on the selected Nrf2s in their products. More and more companies are understanding the benefits of reducing oxidative stress and the Nrf2s have become a popular platform to launch the benefits of their formulas.
The Xendurance Immune Boost formula has sixteen Nrf2 activators plus recommended dosages of vitamin and minerals.
Here are the sixteen activators in Immune Boost:
Broccolic Sprouts Extract
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Polyphenols from Green Tea
Grape Seed Extract
Pomegranate Fruit Extract
Just think, if we can all tap into more Nrf2s, increase our consumption of these “Avenger” activators, we may be providing powerful mechanisms that provide for a greater chance at living longer and healthier while mitigating viral infections. And who doesn’t want that?
(1) Lee JH, Khor TO, Shu L, Su ZY, Fuentes F, Kong AN. Dietary phytochemicals and cancer prevention: Nrf2 signaling, epigenetics, and cell death mechanisms in blocking cancer initiation and progression. Pharmacol Ther. 2013;137(2):153-171. doi:10.1016/j.pharmthera.2012.09.008